Thursday, March 22, 2012

friday reads



Lately, I've been going through a bit of a blah phase when it comes to reading. It may have to do with the fact that most of my books are still in the moving boxes but I feel like I've had the attention span of a gnat. I'll pick up a book, read a few pages, then put it down and end up playing scrabble on my ipod all night instead. I suppose Scrabble is still wordy but it's not as relaxing as tucking into a good book right before bed.

But then...

A few weeks ago we had a book sale at work and I was totally invigorated. I only bought about five novels but just having them lined up on my bedside table is making me all excited to get reading again. They're acting a bit like my stuff to cook and make list - a jumping off point for rediscovering two of my favourite things to do, aka the title of this blog.

So what's on that bedside table you ask? At the moment there is:

The Secret Cure - Sue Woolfe
Blindness - José Saramago
A Maggot - John Fowles
The Nature of Ice - Robyn Mundy

So far I'm about halfway through The Secret Cure, which is intriguing and surprising and sort of odd too. For example, I didn't work out it was set in the 1980s until about page 201.

But, as for the rest, I think that might be my Easter reading stitched up, right there. Even just typing those words Easter reading gives me a little thrill of anticipatory pleasure. It's not all about chocolate and easter buns, though they are both thoroughly enjoyed in a big way in our house. Amongst other important things it's also about a bit of quiet time to curl up on the couch with a cuppa and a great read. 

How about you - are there any books you're looking forward to reading over the break?

...

No comments:

Post a Comment