Thursday, March 3, 2011

in search of something sweet

Sometimes, when you're busy worrying about what to do with your life, a whole week can go by almost without you even noticing.

I don't know where this last week went. I think it took me the best part of the week to recover from our weekend - up and back to Newcastle on Saturday - where I had the most spectacular ocean trout, a friend's housecooling, followed by the Beach Road Hotel (which was nothing short of utter madness), and a birthday party picnic at Bronte to finish it all off on Sunday, where we enjoyed cupcakes, punch and my friend Anna's spectacular rosewater, lime and semolina cake.

There were a lot of delicious and wonderful moments in there but it was a little hectic and there was some flow-over into the week itself - tears, cheesecake, wine - you know, the usual. Anyway, phew, here we are at Friday, hot on the heels of another weekend, and the first one of Autumn to boot.

And because you've indulged me thus far I'll let you in on a little recipe. This much needed dessert happened one afternoon when I'd opened the cupboards and refrigerator more than a few times in search of something sweet, an old chocolate, something...anything. A little "bing" of inspiration went off in my head as I realised that the cream cheese and lemon I'd spied could be converted into something magnificent. I wasn't about to leave the house for any missing ingredients (such as biscuits) so crustless cheesecake was born and it fitted the bill just nicely.

Crustless Cheesecakes
Adapted from Desserts, by Victoria Chow

150g caster sugar
200g cream cheese
1 egg
Juice from half a lemon

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease 2-3 ramekins. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the sugar, egg and lemon juice and beat again until smooth.  Pour the mixture into the greased ramekins and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. You can chill them overnight or you can do as I did and grab a spoon, turn on Hawaii Five-O and dig right in.

Happy Friday everyone and hope you have a relaxing weekend ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment